Tuesday, July 7, 2009

And I will love you, after the war

Cross and Poppies
Image Credit: Boxelf

As we just celebrated our nations' birthday it has made me think about our history and how far we've come--and just how far we have to go. I recently watched the movie Passchendaele written and directed by Canadian actor Paul Gross (remember the hottie from Due South?) that is based on a true story of a Canadian soldier who faught the famous battle at Passchendaele.

Sergeant Michael Dunne fights in the 10th Battalion, AKA The "Fighting Tenth" with the 1st Canadian Division and participated in all major Canadian battles of the war, and set the record for highest number of individual bravery awards for a single battle.


Paul Gross also helped write what I would say is the "theme song" for the movie, titled "After the War" and sung by another talented Canadian folk-singer, Sarah Slean. I couldn't have chosen a better person to sing this song--perhaps Sarah McLachlan, but I love Sarah's voice. Take a listen and perhaps think about our heritage and our history and the brave men and women who managed to survive without water, food and safe shelter while many of us cannot survive without a cell phone, internet or a car. If you're not Canadian, this probably still applies to you--Americans, European, African, Japanese, Australian, etc. The song makes me tear up and think of my Granda who fought in World War II in the Battle of Arnhem. He was a paratrooper, one of the red baret's who fought with the British 1st Airborne Division paratroopers.

My granda could be one of these!

I was very lucky that a bomb that landed near him, did not kill him and I grew up to know him until his passing when I was around 14 or 15 years old. N'oublie pas, never forget. Je t'aime mon grand pere! tu me manques..I miss you. xo.





MusicPlaylist
MySpace Playlist at MixPod.com

No comments:

Post a Comment