Thursday, July 16, 2009

Speaking of Road Trips...

Seeing as I am on the subject of road trips, I think I will continue. It is a passion of mine and RBs so we do a lot of it. This one is a special one though. RB and I had been dating less than a month and it was my birthday. He decided to take me up to Squamish/Whistler for it and we'd stay in a hotel overnight. In fact, we never meant it to turn into a road trip. We thought we would simply drive up to Whistler, do our thang, and then head home the next day. In the words of the Genie from Aladdan "Wrong!" I had casually mentioned I had never been to Pemberton and Lillooet and so we decided we'd drive there. And then after that, well, heck! Why not just drive to Cache Creek while we're at it. No, let's just drive the whole canyon and loop around and come through the Fraser Valley! If this was not love, I don't know what is.

And seeing as it's a road trip, and RB and I are book picture happy people, we have evidence! Behold the magical wonders that await you in the southwest coast of British Columbia! P.S.-you can click on any of these photos to see them larger!

We didn't have the grandest of weather for our trip, but it didn't matter because we were going to WHISTLER! as well as the effects of early-romance heat to keep us warm. This is looking behind us coming up the Sea-to-Sky Highway. You'll hear about this when the 2010 Vancouver olympics happen next February.

I decided I would play around with the photos just for fun. Well, actually I am playing around with them so I can fit more on here without making the post absolutely ridiculously long. Ha!
Well as you might imagine, this is us. Yes, we pose. We're posers. Have a problem with that?! Eh?!

We took some self portraits and when I say "we" I mean "I". Obviously not too savvy with the self-portraiture as I meant to capture RB but only managed his mouth. That's okay, I like his mouth. Mmmmoving on.

Sing it with me, One of these things is not like the other...who cares! What is this Sesame Street? We read maps, er, I read maps, drank lo cappuccino and respected some bears. Bears deserve respect not garbage! No sir, no garbage. I think I'll use this line the next time I mark my students' work. Dawn deserves respect and good papers, not garbage!

We went to Lost Lake in Whistler Village. It doesn't look lost to me...but if it was, we found it! finders keepers!

See RB in the waterfall. See RB missing. See RB throw his shoes off and onto the road because he can't find his way out of the waterfall without putting both feet in the water. See Dawn roll her eyes and grumble....men, eh...

I can't stay serious for all photography, so sue me! RB probably thought he had started to date a nice girl. Ha! Fooled him, eh?

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Well, just bears. Bear. One Bear that we almost hit when we turned a sharp corner and it crossed the road. We'll call this emo-bear, or suicidal bear. Nom nom nom on the dandilions. Hungry bear. I stay in car, mmm kay?

Anyone who knows RB knows he's of the frugal sort. He also loves to camp. He has a book on all the free campsites in British Columbia and this was one of them. Somehow I wouldn't camp here knowing less than a kilometer (.6 of a mile for you 'mericans) there was a hungry black bear. The campsite and I would be free...to eat.

Mainly we saw road, mountains, and trees.

We saw some beautiful picturesque country-side once we got near Cache Creek. Below is an old train tunnel.

Finally we got to this: I don't know the name of the lake but it's in Lillooet. It's so beautiful. I heart road trips!

What's the most beautiful lake you've been to?? Tell me so I can go! Crater Lake? Lake Tahoe? Somewhere? Anywhere?!!? Inquiring minds want to know!


2 comments:

  1. The photos are INSANELY beautiful I cant believe you saw a bear!! I also love how RB took you on a trip after one month of dating. In NY you can hardly get a guy to take you to dinner after one month . . . Maybe I should move to the great North?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ohlivin

    Yes definitely! Move to Vancouver you'd love it here!

    Actually it wasn't even a month of dating, 11 days!! June 1st is my birthday and the 19th of May was our very first date. Nuts eh? Loves him...

    ReplyDelete