Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Last Year's Road Trip

So I promised I would write about our trip from last year. I've posted a few pictures of our trip from last year when referencing places such as Montana (one of my favourite states). So we began our trip last year by driving to Edmonton (of course) and heading straight south on the Deer Foot Trail (#2) that runs north south through Alberta and right to Milk River, Alberta which is at the crossing into Montana.

Evidence of our very last Timmies for the next six days until we arrived in Michigan where, thank the heavens, Tim Horton's gods live.

Welcome to Montana, ya'll! Er, they don't really say ya'll. I just threw that in there. I'm sorry I HAVE to put more Montana pics up. It's just in me, I can't stop it...

I firmly believe that the angel of God that assisted in making Montana was an artist. It always looks like a painting!


Way to go RB! Who doesn't like a man who can start a fire, I'd like to know! Something sext about it, primal...animalistic...er.. moving on.
So I realized I skipped a whole part of our trip--Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Wyoming...but that deserves a post on its own. So I will show you the borders of our trip. They were cool none the less! The green agricultural lands leaving Wyoming and heading back into Montana gearing up to head east.
I realize this is a Wyoming welcome sign, but we passed it on the other side of the road leaving Wyoming. When we left out the east entrance/exit of Yellowstone NP, there was no Welcome to Wyoming sign. It was our goal to get welcome signs for every state, so we stopped the car and cheated a little. So this was actually a 'come again!' sign to us. Yeehaw! We sure will! Second fav state!
You just can't beat scenes like this, even when you're driving! Well, RB was driving so I got to gawk!

This is what we saw for the next day and a half. Road, heat coming off the road, dried grass, hay, wheat, and telephone poles. And the occasional rest stop. I loved it! It's so American!

I have a friend back in Newfoundland, CM, who did a similar road trip to this a year or few back and said one of the points of stoppage was Wibaux, Montana which is the last exit before crossing into North Dakota. It's a small-town-America town and he said he stopped into a bar and when he walked in everyone just stopped and stared. Obviously they weren't used to strangers. It was a biker bar. He was scared. He tipped his hat and left if I remember correctly. I believe it was a Saturday that we came through and most places were closed. In fact the "downtown core" consisted mostly of little shops closed for the summer? Strange. People who walked the street waved. It was all very charming. There's my shameless plug for Wibaux. They had the best people at the gas station just off the exit. Very friendly and helpful!
Welcome to North Dakota--home of--wait for it---FARGO! doncha know...
Our overnight stay in North Dakota had us staying at Theodore Roosevelt National Park just over the border. This was in the town of Medora, ND which is the 'host town' of TRNP. Rob was having fun playing with nighttime camera settings while I talked on the calling card to mum and my sister Jennifer.
Quite the quaint little town. Has an excellent restaurant in one of the hotels (I can't remember the name) but had excellent steak! Well why wouldn't North Dakota bring the beef, I'd like to know!
We saw wildlife...
And sunrises...

And great panoramas!

And Fargo! We didn't stop. By Fargo we were pretty much dead set on driving as much as we could and stopping only for gas. We pretty much lived on Rockstar (we picked up a cheap $24 flat of 24 from the Costco in Montana--Tax free state! Did I mention how much I LOVE Montana??!)

We'll call this 'drunk in Minnesota'
Rolling green hills! I imagine this is what Ireland could look like if they received any sunshine! ;)
We stopped for the night in St. Cloud. Anyone a Trisha Yearwood fan?? I thought so!
I'll leave this entry with a flag. This is already picture-heavy so I will continue with part II later. Enjoy! I love America!

Tell me! What do you love most about America, and what says "America" to you. Say it with pictures if you can!

6 comments:

  1. I love your blog if nothing else but the photo's - you have a talent there...you take beautiful photos....

    ReplyDelete
  2. @aussiechic awww shucks! thanks! I love your blog too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pics! You make me want to take a road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOhh what GORGEOUS photos! They just opened New York's first Tim Horton's here and I'm dying for an ice coffee. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. @kara thank-you! Road tripping is definitely glorious. A great way to see everything in a short amount of time. I have seen many US states that way and it makes me uber happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ohlivin I read about that on the NY Times online yesterday! I was super excited. Yes yes yes you MUST get an Ice Capp! Oh, and substitute the real cream for chocolate milk, it makes it yummier.

    And crullers are the bomb! Ask if they will be making cruller timbits. I think my hips just widened thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete