Sunday, July 5, 2009

Scotland Forever

Our Clan crest which is altered slightly or added to every time there is a new Duke. This one was completed in 2002 by His Grace. And he states about it: "The crest is an eagle killing a heron and perhaps the armorial convention for a heron is rather like a stork. Our earliest properties had very good salmon fishing and it would be easy to develop an antipathy to herons." Also,

On the Graham Coat of Arms are three scallop shells. These represent pilgrimages of three Graham ancestors. The pilgrimages were made by medieval knights to the shrine Santiago de Campostila. Around 1230-1260, pilgrimages were made by two of the senior Dalkeith branches of the Grahams and this was marked by the inclusion of the scallop shells on the Graham Coat of Arms. Shells were used to collect alms for the poor.


You may also note the words Ne Oublie which means "Never Forget" which is our Clan motto.

Our Clan plant is the True Laurel (Laurus nobilis)

Our Clan tartan which will be worn as a sash over my future wedding gown and tied around my bouquet with a lucky horseshoe as is tradition. As well, some tartan may be placed at the head table. The groom may also have some of the tartan tied to his boutonniere.

This is the Clan Graham castle--Mugdock Castle which is in the borderlands region of Scotland.


Two days ago I posted about the paternal side of my family and my trip to Tobermory in February of this year. There is, however, a deep and rich history on my maternal side which perhaps I am more in tune with. My mum was born in Scotland along with the rest of my maternal side and we are of the Clan Graham of which there is still a head (Chieftan) today, His Grace, James Graham 8th Duke of Montrose. Funny enough he married a young Canadian of Scottish heritage named Catherine Young (if you remember the entry two days ago we have Young's in the family--but this is a stretch but not all together impossible, I'd have to do some research).

The lineage goes through the maternal side of my maternal side..if that makes sense. The first Graham to marry into the family was in the late 1800s, my Great Great Granny Margaret Graham-Watt, and her father John Graham is my Great Great Granda. Margaret had a daughter Elizabeth Graham Watt who married James Jarvis (My Great Granda and Great Granny) who are my Granny's parents. My Granny is alive and well today at 82. My Great Granny Elizabeth Graham died in childbirth so my Granny was raised without a mum which is sad indeed. On my mum's paternal side is Scottish heritage as well, actually. My granda William Barbour is related to John Barbour who was with Robert the Bruce during his time and authored his biography.

Anyway, my family is a patriotic bunch on that side. We come from "good stock" as my mum would say. My mum even has a tattoo on her back with a furling Scottish flag (St. Andrew's Cross) and says Alba Gu Bra which is Gaelic for "Scotland Forever". We're nationalistic and family members belong to the Scottish Nationalist Party which fights to be free from rule from London and the British Monarchy. Anyone who loves the movie Braveheart will never appreciate the story quite as much as we Scots do--there is a strong message behind it.

Check out the photos above and you can click on the links for more information if that interests you.

ALBA GU BRA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment