Saturday, October 24, 2009

Macaroni et deux fromage


I have always been a fan of KD, ever since I was a kid. Original is always great, but I loved the spiral and white cheddar as well. Suffice it to say I have tried every kind of KD there is--but nothing beats the homemade stuff!

This is a recipe I kind of made up on my own. If you know how to make a basic cheese sauce you can pretty much do anything you like to make it. I like to bake mine after with something called butter crumbs. I enjoy creamy but I like contrasting textures and the crunchiness the crumbs give this baked macaroni and cheese is to die for. Literally. I think I die every time. Sometimes I sing to it--"I just died in your arms tonight.."

The Team

2-3 c. pasta (I use spiral but I just love their fun shape! You could use elbow macaroni too!)
3 tbsp of butter or margarine (I use margarine because it tricks my mind into thinking this is in any way healthy).
1/4 c. finely chopped onion (for flavour)
salt & pepper to taste
3 tbsp flour
2 c. 2% milk (OR you could divide 1 c. 2% and 1 c. cream if you think your hips can handle it! Mine can't!)
2 c. shredded old age cheddar (I emphasize the "old age" because I find it gives a distinct flavour boost that mild cheddar cheeses fail to provide).
1/4 c. shredded swiss cheese

Instructions

1. In a medium saucepan add butter and onions, salt and pepper and cook until onions become translucent.

2. Add flour and milk and whisk on medium until mixture thickens.

3. Add cheese and continue to whisk until all cheese has melted and becomes a creamy sauce.

4. Put on a pot of salted water to boil your pasta. Once cooked add to your pot of cheesy goodness.

5. Pour cheese-noodle concoction into a greased casserole dish. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

6. Top casserole with more cheese, old age and swiss.

7. Add butter crumbs to the top, shove into the oven for about 30 minutes or until crispy top forms.

8. Serve and Enjoy!


1 comment: