Monday, September 7, 2009

Home Suite Home

Hello lovies!!!

I'm hoping this is a return to blog-land, on a regular basis. We're mostly settled here in beautiful Guelph, Ontario after a 9-day holiday trek from west to east. We're tired, sick of looking at boxes, yet full of hope for the next year to come before we do it all again.

When everything is completely unpacked, boxes broken down and every speck of dirt cleaned I promise I will take photos so you can see our place. It's rather bacheloresque in format---technically it's a 1-bedroom but if you recall from previous posts, the 1 brm is too small to be a bedroom so we've converted it to an office space for ourselves (actually for me to get my thesis written, with a door to close, so I do not get distracted by playoff hockey---or just the regular season in general while RB watches.) We have thusly moved the bed into the livingroom right in front of the television next to the kitchen. I have to say I am very happy at the decision to bring the mattress with us because an air mattress for a year just would not do. We have had wonderful sleeps and we can curl up and cuddle while watching television in the evening. Anyone up for America's Best Dance Crew ?? ANYONE?! And are you sad Vogue Evolution was eliminated? I am.

P.S. Mario Lopez is dreamy. I could just do many many things with those dimples. There. I said it.

Today Rogers came and hooked up our internets and television. Currently RB is in tv-la-la-land, HD heaven and PVR pleasure-mode (Tivo for you 'mericans). Do you call it PVR in America? Anyway--nothing beats an HDPVR and once you've had one it's hard to go back. In particular I love the rewind option whenever you're watching a great show and you missed something because RB is whining that supper isn't ready yet. Argh! Don't you know not to interrupt me during So you think you can dance?! Ahem.

We also love Rogers "On-Demand" function--we can watch the most popular of television shows previous episodes in full that we missed--for free! Like Hell's Kitchen. And can I just say that Tennille makes me made?

Something about her is just like some snooty b&@#!y meets Whoopie Goldberg. And why do all the chefs on Hell's Kitchen smoke? Does that just make you want to not eat their food? Crikey!

Well, I will part with you for now as I gear up for a post on our journey here and the days I spent with my future MOH and her darling children who call me Auntie. I'm making homemade chicken salad in fresh made pita bread and homemade pasta salad because I am a suckkkker for pasta salad. Keep watch here for some wicked recipes I will be whipping up for RB. After 9 days eating out I'm excited to be eating in again. Also, for the rest of this growing season, RB and I will be going to a number of farmer's markets and my intent is to start buying veggies and fruits I do not normally eat and I will learn the ways to cook them. Two nights ago I made a Tuscan Stew--or at least that's what I called it. Grilled red and yellow peppers, yellow and green zuccinni, eggplant and sauteed onion, roma tomatoes and fresh grated garlic. This was all cooked down in a pot and then I made some garlic bread. I'd never eaten eggplant before and never cooked with zuccinni before and it turned out excellent.

Last night I made porkchops with apples and some pan-friend white potatoes. I didn't take photos but essentially I took the 1 inch thick sirloin chops and dredged them in flour mixed with pepper and salt and pan fried them transferring them to a pyrex baking dish. I then took two gala apples, cored and cut them into smaller slices. In a bowl I mixed 1/4 cup of orange juice, 4 tbsp. of brown sugar and 2 tsp of cinnamon with a whisk. I poured this mixture over the pork chops and added the apples. In a 425F oven I covered the dish with foil for 35 minutes and then took off the foil for another 10 to brown the apples.

I steamed the white potatoes and when done I put them on a cutting board and smashed them down with the heal of my hand with just enough force to break them slightly. I then added some EVOO to a heated pan and pan fried the potatoes just to make them golden brown--sprinkled them with some fresh ground pepper and salt.

Great meal and pretty easy!

Talk soon!
Love,
Dawn

2 comments:

  1. Yaaay You're back!!!
    So, we call it DVR in the States, but I'll let it slide this once since you forgave me for the 9 continents thing.
    Can't wait to see your pics from the vacay. So good to have you back!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there - been a while......yes post photos....cannot wait to see.....oh and your ideas for your wedding look wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete