Sunday, June 28, 2009

Now we're bound for St. John's town to see the girl's a' dancin'

I've been in love with Newfoundland ever since I first heard/saw Great Big Sea on CMT when I was in grade 8. I believe the first song I ever heard was "When I'm Up (I can't get down)" off their album Play which was released in 1996. Click the song title to have a wee listen. Subsequent material almost always paid homage to the motherland (Newfoundland) by showing off the many beautiful, fairy-tale-Olde English-Fishing village-laundry-blowin'-in-the-wind landscapes. Since then, and through my love affair with lead singer Alan Doyle, I have been utterly and irrevocably in love with Newfoundland.

Sidenote: I actually saw Alan Doyle in person for the first time at the Vancouver International Airport when my mum and I were waiting for a friend to come off the plane. My mum and I love to people watch and she elbowed me to check out the dreamy man with the nice arse and long hair. I glanced and quickly did a little hormonal teenage freak attack letting her know between my gasps that he was the lead singer of my most favourite group next to Hanson and Backstreet Boys. Eeeeek! No I can't go talk to him he just got off a long flight! Hey! I may be stalker-like but at least I'm respectful! Anyway...this post isn't supposed to be about Alan Doyle but Newfoundland so let's move on shall we?

So in 2006 when I found that I had 2 years left of studies to complete my undergraduate degree in Geography, I decided on a whim to move to the place I've lusted after for 10 years. I am a spontaneous brat and so when I told my parents I was doing so, they believed me and my mum in particular was quite excited knowing how lustful I was. For Alan. Er, I mean for the Rock. For adventure. Dec 30th 2006 I was off on a flight spanning 6000km from one end of Canada to the other. I knew no one there and had rented a place in good faith over the telephone with a good gal named Susan. It took about 12 hours of travel to get to St. John's as we criss-crossed the country stopped at various points of uninterest such as Calgary, Toronto, and Halifax. The flight I boarded in Halifax was quite different from the flight I boarded in Abbotsford. For one, I literally couldn't understand half of what people were saying. Everyone seemed to know the other person and were all chit-chatting away while I sunk my exhausted body down in the window seat to try and get shut-eye. Not. A. Chance. If there is one thing I learned about Newfoundlanders--they love to talk(re: shout!). It's endearing.

I arrived at St. John's International Airport (ahem, yes St. John's airport is international if you can believe it!) though small. One terminal if you can call it such. It's quaint but I like it. You don't get lost as I once did in Chicago's O'Hare airport. That's for another story, though. I got my luggage...eventually. For some reason when I fly I always get my luggage last. It's just the way it is. I got my two heavy pieces of luggage and tried to orient myself to get a taxi. I knew where I was headed: 1 Kildare and my roommate's name was Susan. I didn't have a clue how far it was from the airport, but I was sure the cab driver would and would take full advantage. I was used to BC taxi drivers--I was prepared! Oh, but I wasn't! The cabby spoke english, and sang some irish tunes while I relaxed in the back. He took my luggage and placed it nicely in the back trunk. Hmm..I was home.

The third thing I learned about Newfoundland after the talking and the english cab drivers...the wind is bloody freezing and strong! It comes right off the Atlantic like a banshee and skirt-wearers be-ware! DON'T wear!

Here are some photos of my Newfoundland adventures. This tale isn't over, but just the beginning. I highly highly recommend visiting. And if you're anything like me, you'll never want to leave and will probably move back permanently. It's best kind b'y!

St. John's Harbour taken from the North Head Trail at Signal Hill.
I don't recall exactly what street this is..possibly Gower St. As you can see...colourful houses. I still say it's so you can find your home in a snow storm or through the fog. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
The other end of St. John's harbour from downtown. This is through the large paned windows at The Rooms which is St. John's huge museum. It's great, and I think anyone who visits should see it. You can be there for 2 or more hours and still not view everything. Oh, they have a wicked Art Gallery there too!

This is at the Battery which is where some of St. John's oldest homes are. They go for a mint these days but used to be super cheap to purchase. Damn you rich professors! Damn you Russell Crowe! You can see they have character. Oh and if you're wondering what is meant by "The Battery"--it relates to WWII when the base was built at St. John's.

If you're interested in becoming an honourary Newfoundlander, and you plan to visit St. John's, I recommend going to Christian's down on George Street. They do a pretty awesome Screech In. You should also get to know some of the local music. Local's don't like it, tourists do. That's not completely true, actually, Townies don't like it, Baymen do. If you want to understand the difference, I'd recommend going and asking. It's more fun that way. I'm half tourist and I love the music. Here are some to listen to that I love. If you go to almost any bar on George Street on the weekend you'll find someone playing live. It's great! To flip to the next song, just click on the >> mark in the middle of the tape. There is a back and foward button on each side.



MusicPlaylistRingtones
MySpace Music Playlist at MixPod.com

1 comment:

  1. Oh the colors in that fishing shot are awesome now that it is bigger......same with the one of St Johns Harbor. You need to print that fishing shot out and frame it. It is very cool.

    ReplyDelete