Thursday, November 25, 2010

Table Numbers


Typically, wedding receptions will seat people by table number. Ever one trying to be different, I decided to name my table after different species of sport fish. It makes sense perfectly for Rob and I. We both love to fish and I worked for fisheries. The way I will do it, is I will write the Latin genetic name with the common name in brackets.

I have a new crafty love affair to speak of. I am into calligraphy, and have been since I was a little girl; however, I have now discovered illuminated lettering. Illuminated lettering dates back to medieval days, where monks in monasteries would spend literally hours perfecting this creative technique (it was considered the Godly thing to do), writing, writing and more writing, typically Bible scripture. Illuminated lettering combines calligraphy with elaborate designs found in borders, or the initial letter on a page. The first letter of a passage would be capitalized and designed elaborately, with the rest of the passage in simple (or perhaps not so simple) calligraphy.

Tools used are ink pens, calligraphy pens, with acrylic inks, india inks, etc. Colour would be derived from natural pigments found during that time period...which account for the typical colours used...browns, reds, yellows, greens, blues. And then gold...22-24 karat gold, is applied to the design to enhance it. Usually the pigment would have egg added to them, to make an egg tempera...when the egg white dries it gives a distinct sheen.

At art stores today, you can purchase pigments which you can add distilled water and egg to yourself. Or you can purchase gouache paints which are just as valid.

I have looked into using india ink (a nice blue colour) to design the table cards, and will do elaborate designs for the first letter in the fishes name. I will post to here when they are done but will be getting on them in the new year. Less than 6 months to go!

Some of the fish I will be using:
Oncorhynchus keta (Chum Salmon)
Oncorhynchus nerka (Sockeye Salmon)
Oncorhynchus tshawytscha (Chinook Salmon)
Oncorhynchus kisutch (Coho Salmon)
Oncorhynchus clarkii (Cutthroat Trout)
Salvelinus malma (Dolly Varden)
Acipenser transmontanus (White Sturgeon)
Oncorhynchus mykiss (Rainbow Trout/Steelhead)

No comments:

Post a Comment