Saturday, January 16, 2010

This ain't sea world, this is real as it gets!

There are few things in this world that make this Canadian backwoods girl happy. One of those is cheesecake. The other is Bass Pro Shops. I also love boats. Hence my love affair with this weekend.

Sorry, while I shed a few tears. RB and I went to the Toronto International Boat Show this weekend, as the company that he works for offered him free tickets. Let me tell you, it was a drool fest. RB used to sail lots as a kid and up until he was nearly twenty. He loves to sailboat. Me? I love two things about boating: Speed and fishing. If I can combine the two, then hallelujah!

We first went and took a few shots of some motors. I felt a bit like Tim the Tool Man Taylor and forgot temporarily about my estrogen.

Aw-yeah, baby! A 40hp Big Foot! RB is over 6' so you can see how big this motor is.

Well hello, beautiful. May I say you're looking rather "fly", all shiny and new with your beloved 60hp. This is the newer Mercury 60Hp Flyway.

After we had our fill of boats, we decided en route home to stop one of only TWO Bass Pro Shops in all of Canada. The other is in Calgary. What more can a girl ask for but to be greated by a great big Bass hanging in mid-air? Inside were mounted fish and game galore. In particular I enjoyed the "home decor" aspect. I quickly called my mama and said in the most southern accent a Canadian girl can concoct "Mama! I'm inna Bass Pro Shop and I've died 'n gone 'ta heaven!"..to which my ma replied, "Dawn, do NOT make your house look like a trailer park!". I'm sorry, but that glass coffee table whose base was constructed from a set of deer antlers was a beaut! And heck yes I WILL have those moose-decor lamp shades.

I digress, I did not purchase these. However, RB was nice enough to purchase me a ball cap I had been admiring and a brand new...skillet! Life is good my friends, life is good. We eyed up some fly rods and reels. RB gasped at some of the prices, but I know that sometimes you have to spend a little extra dough to get quality goods.

I don't know if RB was impressed I wanted to take his photo with the duck, or not. Regardless, I thought he looked kinda cute next to the fake ducks.

sigh, what a wonderful sea of rods, reels, nets and tackle. A girl could live here forever, except that if I lived here forever I'd never actually get to fish.

In the end it was a glorious day of outdoor-ness. It was a nice break from the winter cold to think about the warm summer ahead where I get to "get outside" and find my chi or my chee or whatever it is it's called. Find myself? I don't know. I just want to hook somethin' and fry it up for dinner.

What are you looking forward to doing in summer?

1 comment:

  1. We live on a lake so summer time is a favorite time of the year for our family. My Hunk loves to fish and pull the rugrats around on the lake.

    In the evenings Hunk and I like to grab a bottle of wine and head out and watch the sunset.

    I also look forward to bbqs with family and friends..homemade ice cream and watching outdoor movies.

    Though I have some Indian heritage I glow white so I have to be very careful to not get burnt! Sadly I seem to do this almost every year.

    Thanks for letting me think about summer in the middle of our rain storm!

    ReplyDelete